> Anyone who writes often for marketing/advertising/a business/your personal blog, please share what you do and what your writing habits are!
I’ve had a few different phases to my writing.
- I started out as a writer with a personal blog, blogging about daily life and random thoughts. (I’ve since archived this.)
- I got a lot of responses on my writing about local politics and social issues, so I did more of that.
- I got headhunted to join a tech startup because the founder enjoyed my writing, and needed somebody to head up the blog.
- I weaned off my local political writing and focused my time learning to do business goal-driven content marketing. Lots of trial and error, lots of learning.
- I used to write heavily on Quora, which boosted my craftsmanship as well as my self-esteem.
- I have a personal writing project on the side, where I’m working on writing 1,000 sets of 1,000 words, for fun.
- I’ve sometimes posted some things on Medium when it felt appropriate. I’ve had two particular posts go pretty viral– one about Mean Girls, and one about How To Bullshit Everybody.
- Write as much as you possibly can.
- Write about as many different things as you possibly can.
- Pursue what is strange, funny, weird, interesting. That’s where the good stuff is.
- Be willing to ship stuff that’s imperfect. If you’re worried about damaging your reputation, publish under a pseudonym, or ask a trusted friend to give you negative feedback.