The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.
The above quote is a fantastic bit of polarization. It’s genius marketing, even if Banksy claims to eschew marketing. The fact is that the man (or woman?) is a marketing mastermind, with a very clear sense of what his brand is, and what his audience is. He knows how to pick a fight, to make himself and his views relevant.
- /r/advertising – http://www.reddit.com/r/advertising/comments/1d2ukf/banksy_on_advertising/
- /r/art – https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/qb7yi/banksy_on_advertising_inspirational_stuff/
- Zen Pencils – Taking The Piss
- “Destroy Capitalism” print by Banksy available for sale at WalMart, discussion on /r/art here
- /r/philosophy’s take on Banksy, and /r/truereddit
- ReferralCandy – 5 parts to Banksy’s marketing strategy